lauantai 9. toukokuuta 2015

Learn to Let Go, Perfectionist

Yet another week that has flown by too fast. Do you ever feel that your week only consist of Mondays and Fridays? Anything in between goes by as some grey fluff that you can't recall and after a few weeks have passed you wonder yet again where did the time go?



Perhaps your weeks go buy with high levels of stress, with you wondering how to survive this week while you want to shine in everything you do and master all areas of your life a 100%. You perfect little thing you. You might think that if you're excellent in everything you'll have the ultimate level of happiness in your life too. Think again dear. I ran into a great quote lately in LinkedIn from a former CEO of Coca-Cola. Here's how it went:

I've been having a lot of open questions in my life lately and have lived under constant high level of stress for quite some time. When I saw this quote, it gave me some peace of mind. Not everything in life needs to be a continuous performance of excellence. It's ok to not be great all the time and it's ok to accept that. Focus on the things that really matter and learn to recognize when excellence is truly needed and relevant. This does not mean settling for less though.



The problem with perfectionism is, in real life there is no "perfect" of any kind. If a perfectionist doesn't reach a level of what they imagine would be perfect for the things they do, they will feel like they've failed and the guilt adds up. Perfectionists also often compare themselves to others with similar goals to theirs and when they try to reach excellence in all areas of life, you can imagine the level of comparing to others is ridiculous and even the perfectionist would acknowledge this.

Social media is not making things easier for perfectionists as people tend to present only the optimal/good side of things online whether it's work, home or looks. What needs to be remembered is the old saying "things are never fully as they look like" or "if something seems too good to be true, it probably is". Keep a healthy level of skepticism in mind whatever your viewing and you'll feel a little less pressure for being perfect.



What matters the most are those four things: family, health, friends and spirit. These are the fundamental things in life, the things that make life taste like life. The things that make you live all the days of the week and not just the Mondays and Fridays. Work is important as it is a big part of our lives but work is the rubber ball that bounces back if you drop it. Perfectionist and highly ambitious people easily forget themselves inside the world of work and all things career. We need people like that but not at the cost of health, family, spirit and friends. We need to put things to right perspective and ensure that the time outside office hours is not spent stressing about the things at the office but focusing on the things that matter.


I've moved far from my family, left friends behind, had a lot of health issues and a struggled to keep my spirit up through all that. I've definitely damaged a thing or two but I've always kept my career at a high priority. The past four months (and probably more) I've lived Mondays and Fridays in poor health. My rheumatism has kicked back, my heel has been so painful I have barely been able to walk for the past two weeks, my jaw muscles are so inflamed due to stress (I bite my teeth together during nights) I cannot chew properly and have constant pain and my eyes got inflamed as well a couple weeks ago. All these things have been related to high stress levels. In addition to my autoimmune disease too of course.


I went to Prague for a long weekend a week ago and had a lovely time with my parents. I saw my future husband play ice hockey on the big arena and was so proud of him. I realized the last time I had been there was seven years ago and then as well with my parents. At that time we were just starting to get to know each other with the hubby. Seven years and most of those had been spent seeking for excellence and trying to perform in all areas of life. Weeks consisting of Mondays and Fridays. All of that made me see things a lot more clear and put things to the right perspective.


The cup is half full, that's my spirit. This summer we're getting married and start a new chapter in life overall. It's time to leave Krakow and Poland behind for now and head back to France. For the first time in my life I let the work ball drop and bounce back on its own pace. For the first time I don't have a clear plan but I trust the process and trust things will sort out. For the first time I'll learn how to let go of my inner perfectionist and focus on the stuff that matters :)

Good night!

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti